Welcome to another grammar edition of TOEIC! In today’s podcast/video, we’re going to do the full rundown of noun and verb suffixes, a tactic that is needed to get a fine score in Part 5. Also, some exercises and additional task (on my blog) before getting into a 6-question Tactic Practice. With that being said, let’s get into it!
This section will help you familiarize yourself with some of the most common suffix and prefix forms.
Test tactic: Noun & Verb Suffixes
The words below feature some of the most common suffixes use with nouns and verbs. Decide whether they’re a noun or a verb.
Now look at the list of suffixes and mark whether each is a noun or verb suffix.
Now, for each sentence below, decide if it requires a noun or verb, then choose the best word of the correct type to fill in the blank.
investigation identify elevate repetitiveness criticize document internship renovate dependence soften
- The stockholders have called for a(n) ______ to find out where the money went.
- Newspapers are starting to ______ the prime minister’s actions.
- Doing a (n) _______ is a good way for students to get work experience.
- Miller Manufacturing’s _____ on one supplier caused serious problems when that company went bankrupt.
- A consultant was hired to ______ the company’s main weaknesses and suggest solutions.
- Bill realized he had forgotten to bring a key ______ to the meeting.
- The company spent millions to ______ its main office in order to impress its customers.
- The sculptor intended to ______ the statue by placing it on a pedestal so that people could see it more easily.
- Many people dislike the ______ of working on a factory assembly line.
- Cyclists often use special pads to ______ the seat for long-distance rides.
Answers on Next Page