Causative verbs show that someone or something made a certain action happen. The most common causative verbs are get, make, and have. Verbs like order, cause, force, and want can also be causative verbs. They are followed by noun clauses.
- If the direct object of the causative verbs make, have, and let perform the action, the simple (base) form of a verb is used.
- If the direct object of other causative verbs (such as get, want, order, cause, etc.) perform the action, to plus the simple (base) form of a verb is used.
- If the direct object of the causative verb receives the action, the past participle form of a verb is used.
- Example: He had the secretary sign for the package.
- Example II: He ordered everyone to leave the room.
- Example: III: We will want the invoices returned at once.
- In the future, the company will not let its part-time and temporary employees _______ overtime.
- to work
- be working
2) Despite 20 years of success, the financial stress and burden of the sudden recession made the partnership _________.
- to fail
- to be failed
3) The firm wants its product __________ safely and in a timely manner; otherwise it will seek an alternative shipper.
- be packaged
4) All employees were able to get their pay checks ___________ before the power outage closed the banks.
- be deposited
5) The severe weather conditions in the airplane regions forced the airlines _________ all outgoing flights and diver incoming planes.
- to cancel
6) I received a text message from Takeshi yesterday, and it mentioned that they had the equipment ___________ yesterday.
- was shipped
- was being shipped
7) Before Annie ran out for a meeting yesterday, she had Ms. Brunelli _________ the new clear around the premises.
- was showed
8) The increase in layoffs over the past two fiscal periods has caused everyone ___________ less secure.
- was felt
- to feel
9) What company besides ours would make its employees __________ overtime on a national holiday?
- will be working
- be working
10) A wise consumer gets his or her phone order __________ in writing before submitting payment.
Leave a Reply